Sunday, September 7, 2008

Blanche vs. Blanche

The goal of the role of Blanche is to actively make the reader believe that they are going truly into a sense of hysteria. While I believe that Jessica Lange did an excellent job portraying Blanche, I think that the original version by Vivian Leigh is the one that has a more realistic feel. For starters, her accent seemed for fit the play more so than that of Lange. Also, the intensity of the hysteria increases throughout the scene for Leigh. It makes it seem as though Leigh understands the role in greater detail than that of Lange. As the scene went forward, you could see the updated intensity of Leigh's Blanche more so than that of Lange. As far as the film, I believe that the black and white version connects more with the time period simply because it makes me think of old times. I know that is simple but it is what I believe. Overall, I look at both of the films and I believe Leigh does a better job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with liking something based on the feeling it conveys. Good post!